And so our trip comes to an end. Â We came home on July 27, which in English terms is 24/7. Â Rather appropriate, given the pace of the trip, and especially of the last day.
First there was one last stroll through London:
Then the cab ride to Heathrow, a long plane ride home, and, for me, a drive to Charlottesville to drop off Andy. Â I ended up back home at 1 AM local time, which is 6 AM London time. Â 24×7 indeed.
A few reflections on London:
- Kate and Diana most enjoyed the Much Ado production.
- Andy loved the Victoria and Albert.
- Julie enjoyed all the theater.
- My favorites were Leeds and the various views of St Paul’s.
- I did not much care for the bus tours. Â Everything felt too rushed, and I prefer the greater flexibility that comes from having a car. Â The one upside was that I could not have gotten everyone to out at 8 AM unless we were on a fixed schedule.
- Our hotel, the Crowne Plaza St James, was excellent. Â A short walk to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben. Â A few issues with the rooms, but the staff dealt with them quickly and competently. Â A nice, though expensive, breakfast buffet. Â All in all, highly recommended.
- What a terrific trip!