And so our trip comes to an end. Â We came home on July 27, which in English terms is 24/7. Â Rather appropriate, given the pace of the trip, and especially of the last day.
First there was one last stroll through London:
Then the cab ride to Heathrow, a long plane ride home, and, for me, a drive to Charlottesville to drop off Andy. Â I ended up back home at 1 AM local time, which is 6 AM London time. Â 24×7 indeed.
A few reflections on London:
- Kate and Diana most enjoyed the Much Ado production.
- Andy loved the Victoria and Albert.
- Julie enjoyed all the theater.
- My favorites were Leeds and the various views of St Paul’s.
- I did not much care for the bus tours. Â Everything felt too rushed, and I prefer the greater flexibility that comes from having a car. Â The one upside was that I could not have gotten everyone to out at 8 AM unless we were on a fixed schedule.
- Our hotel, the Crowne Plaza St James, was excellent. Â A short walk to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben. Â A few issues with the rooms, but the staff dealt with them quickly and competently. Â A nice, though expensive, breakfast buffet. Â All in all, highly recommended.
- What a terrific trip!
To me, there are two great pleasures in travel. Â The first is going new places. Â The second is going home again. Â It’s nice to be back, though I don’t expect I’ll do much other than recover for the next couple of days.
And then it will be time to plan the next trip!
Joe departs London. Riots start. Timing is everything!